Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Puppyhood

I am looking back in the past trying to figure out what I have missed that caused us to end up where we currently are. I wish I have started this blog 3 years ago when all those little details were still clear in my memory, but unfortunately they are long gone.
Brandy was a very happy puppy. We have plenty of dogs in the neighborhood and she was happy to play with any of them. Before we got her I did some reading about the breed and although I have read that the terriers are independent thinkers and tend to be dog aggressive I never fully understood what it means until she was about 18 months old. So at the beginning I was a bit cautious about letting her play with other dogs but seeing how well they get alone I stopped worrying about all that stuff. This all changed one day.
Also from my research I found out that obedience training is strongly recommended for this breed. I really did want to get this right so I started looking for a dog class. The problem is that although I did plenty of reading about the breed, I hardly did any reading about dog training and had very little idea what the well trained dog really means. That and also money consideration made me looking for dog classes at pet stores. Just before I signed up for the session the breeder suggested to me to buy an e-collar and pointed me to the set of articles that describes how to use it. And so I did. Everything was going pretty well. First we worked on the recall and she did have a great recall, she would turn in midair when I call her, even if rabbits or deer were right under her nose. We worked on sit, down and hill commands and I thought we had all we needed, as I wasn't going to do compete in obedience trials. Thinking about it now, I'd say we could have been OK if I just had another spaniel, but as I found out terriers are quite a different story.

No comments:

Post a Comment