Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow ...

I always have a "Love hate" relationship with the snow in Maryland.
It's so pretty when big snowflakes fall off the sky and the trees are covered with snow. Dogs love it,well at least Brandy, Shamu just seems to like eating snow. Brandy had a few minutes of crazy zoommies - running around me in circle and barking from time to time. But tomorrow, the snow will become such a huge pain! Maybe I'll manage to take few nice pictures in the morning.
Well, I took Shamu out first and it was so pretty that suddenly I didn't want to go to bed anymore. So I took Brandy out and decided to do some work. First, we did go outs.
I thought it would be interesting to do go outs int he middle of the night in the snow. I have no idea how she was finding those targets, must be the nose, but she did really well with that part. However, she stopped sitting on the command. She was doing so well yesterday with sitting and suddenly she stopped. She would stand there instead, so I would have to go out and correct her. She did managed to give me a couple of sits anyway.
Next we worked on "drop on recall". This was going really bad. I think she was running so fast that she would just fly and would drop much later. I would correct her all the way back to the spot, and do it again - same outcome. Damn, I bet it's because I just set the date for upcoming obedience trials! Well, I reduced the distance drastically. Dropped - beautifully. I increased the distance to 15 feet - very nice drop. Back to full distance and I finally got a nice drop on the full distance. I decided not to push my luck anymore and quit right there.
Next we did gloves. Again, I thought it would be neat to do white gloves in the snow. She did pretty well with gloves too, except after each time she picked it up she was shaking it as trying to kill it, or maybe she was shaking the snow off.
Another not so good thing - she was blowing me off on stay commands. I'll leaver her on sit/stay and I find her standing when I look back, pretty frustrating. The snow must be messing up with her brain - she gets so excited about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment